12 July 2011

The Ice-Cream Hell Tunnel

I have had many frustrations with my job at the ice-cream factory since it began, but I've tried to set them aside and put on a happy face. But now that I only have two and a half weeks left before I quit, the frustrations I've tried to keep to a minimum have been getting more difficult to ignore since I can see the light at the end of this ice-cream hell tunnel. Today, I came very close to walking out mid-shift. I almost stormed out of that place, never to return. The key word is "almost". I didn't quit, and today's entry will revolve around the reasons to quit and the reasons to keep working.

REASONS TO QUIT :

- I get water sprayed in my face all the time (see In The Face), and it gets very old.
- My feet are always wet and uncomfortable for some unknown reason (see The Mystery of the Wet Pants).
- I work with people that make me uncomfortable (see El Cholo).
- I don't technically need the money I would earn if I continued working since I have saved up quite a bit already and have enough to cover my living expenses during the coming school year thanks to those wonderful things we call federal and private student loans.
- I normally don't work this much in the summer. For me, summer is time to have fun and take trips. I haven't done any of that all summer because of this job.
- I have developed a video game purchasing addiction. Over the past few weeks, I kept buying video games on eBay for great prices and need to start playing them.
- I have hardly scratched the surface of my summer reading list.
- The protective glasses I am required to wear over my prescription glasses are too big and are constantly sliding down my face, forcing me to push about three hundred times a day.
- Said protective glasses hurt my forehead, bride of my nose, and ears all at the same time.
- Said protective glasses are constantly steaming up due to the hot water I have to spray.
- No one I have spoken to enjoys their job at the ice-cream factory and it's difficult to enjoy a job in such a negative atmosphere.
- I have been coming up with many ideas for short stories but have not had the time to work on them.
- I promised to make my brother a painting and need time to do that before I move.
- I could use more time to hunt for a job in Boston.
- It's always difficult to work at a job when you know you're quitting, especially when you're moving on to bigger and better things.
- My blog entries about the ice-cream factory have not been very popular. Readership has plummeted.

REASONS TO STAY :

- Even though the money isn't necessary, it would be nice to be just that much more financially secure.
- The free ice-cream.

After thinking about it, I have decided to work one more week and quit a week earlier than expected. Looking at my list, which is not comprehensive by any means, there are two categories the reasons can be separated into. A) Work suckiness, and B) Wanting to do other things. To be honest, I think both categories hold an even weight over my decision. The job sucks and I have many other things I would rather be doing. And, really, what is one week? Well, it's $400 to $450, but, eh. I'd rather be happy and accomplishing things rather than working all day and being miserable.

Daily Ice-Cream Intake :
1/8 Gallon Chocolate and Caramel Ice-Cream, 1/4 Gallon Birthday Cake Ice-Cream, 2 Strawberry Crunch Ice-Cream Bars, 1 Vanilla and Hot Fudge Waffle Cone, 1 Orange Sherbet Push-Up

1 comment:

  1. Braeden and I have been reading your blog so don't get too down. Also we miss you and think that you should come visit before you leave. Fact.

    ReplyDelete