27 May 2011

The Summer of Free Ice-Cream (A Running Tally)

Saying that I love ice-cream is an understatement. A more accurate phrase would be that I am obsessed with ice-cream. To provide some degree of perspective into my zeal, I would have you know that there was a point in my life (a fairly recent point) when I was eating ice-cream daily. I would buy it gallons at a time and eat directly out of the large 5-quart tubs. But due to a concern about my financial budget and general health, I decided to moderate my consumption. I struggled with this for months, attempting to quit cold turkey, but returning to the ice-cream isle each week and peering through the glass doors for sales. I was never able to fully wean myself off that most supreme of desserts, but I felt that I developed a more moderate and healthy relationship with ice-cream. That relationship, however, has been sacrificed. Past goals of moderation be damned, I am about to embark on what will henceforth be known as THE SUMMER OF FREE ICE-CREAM.

I previously worked at a Dairy Queen and consumed many gallons of my sweet addiction, but that former job did not provide me with undeterminated amounts of free ice-cream. I was able to drink free shakes and an occassional ice-cream blunder, but I had to pay half-price for most of what I wanted. My current summer job, on the other hand, promises to provide me with all of the ice-cream I could possibly desire while on breaks. I have heard beautiful tales of their break rooms. Break rooms stocked with a dazzling array of delicious ice-cream things. I have also heard tales of how if there is something lacking in the break rooms that the employees are free to waltz (others may not waltz, but, believe me, I will waltz) over to a production line, grab a case of whatever they desire, and then retreat to the break room with the captured bounty to gorge themselves. After I am through with this job, the company may change their policies due to it being abused. There is a strong chance I may ruin this free ice-cream perk for everyone, but I don't care. Just as long as the benefit is removed AFTER I have bid my farewell. Otherwise, I will riot.

Being the obsessive monster that I am, I have a goal of tracking every ice-cream treat I will blissfully consume this summer. I will be updating this blog entry regularly with all of the ice-cream things I have eaten. Check back regularly for updates.

THE LIST OF FREE GOODNESS

2 - Pieces of ice-cream cake (this was free, but pre-employment)
1 - Double scoop waffle cone (this was free, but pre-employment)
1 - Double scoop sugar cone (this was free, but pre-employment)
1 - "Goliath Ice-cream Sundae" (consisting of 12 scoops of ice-cream and three toppings)
52 - Ice-cream candy bars
10 - Fudgesicles
1 - Orange/Vanilla Treat
1 - Root Beer Float creamsicle
40 - Orange Sherbert push-ups
2 - Orange Sherbert squares
2 - Popsicle
7 - Rainbow sherbert push-ups
5 - Ice-cream bar
6 - Miscellaneous ice-cream treats
4 - Cookies N Cream ice-cream waffle cones
1 - Vanilla and hot fudge waffle cone
2 - Vanilla waffle cone
1 - Banana Split waffle cone
2 - Peanut Butter Parfait treats
3 - Vanilla with carmel and brownie waffle cone
9 - Vanila with carmel ice-cream waffle cones
2 - Cookie Ice-Cream sandwich
5 - Chocolate ice-cream waffle cone
24 - Strawberry crunch bars
22 - Chocolate crunch bars
5 - Turtle ice-cream treats
1 - Frozen yogurt square
1 - Strawberry fruit bar
4 - Toffee ice-cream bars
1.375 Gallons - Chocolate and Caramel ice-cream
1/2 Gallon - Strawberry ice-cream
1/8 Gallon - Cherry Nut Fudge ice-cream
1/2 Gallon - Hot Fudge Sundae ice-cream
1.75 Gallons - Tin Roof Sundae ice-cream
1/4 Gallon - Strawberry Cheesecake ice-cream
1/4 Gallon - Butter Toffee ice-cream
1.5 Gallons - Rocky Road ice-cream
1.125 Gallons - Cookies'n'Cream ice-cream
1 Gallon - Cookie Dough ice-cream
1/8 Gallon - Blueberry Pomagranate ice-cream
3/8 Gallon - Neapolitan ice-cream
1.125 Gallons - Birthday Cake ice-cream
1/4 Gallon - Caramel Pecan ice-cream
3/8 Gallon - Chocolate Brownie ice-cream

Beginning Weight : 178     Current Weight : 177.5

last updated : 23 July 2011

What a joy it will be to watch this list grow and grow and grow all summer long. And what an even great joy it will be when I remember that all of it was free.

No comments:

Post a Comment