18 May 2011

Roaches, Roaches Everywhere

So, the overnight study last night was one of the most gruelling experiences of my life. I got up yesterday at 7 am, worked 10 hours, and then went to the study and had to struggle to stay awake until 5:30 am this morning. During my final drive (which began at 4 am), I couldn't stay awake. I don't even remember falling asleep, but there was one point when the driving simulator started to rumble and I opened my eyes and I was going off the road! And even though there was no chance of me getting harmed, it still made me nervous to fall asleep behind the wheel.

Moving on, today was my second to last day at the pawn shop and I have decided to briefly share several experiences I've had with cockroaches. Yes, the pawn shop has a cockroach problem. But I must say that these  "cockroaches" are not what the usually think of when I hear that word. I suppose they're legitimate cockroaches, but these are much smaller and less disgusting. To be honest, we think most of them get into the pawn shop riding in the things our beloved customers bring in. Just lovely.

Alright, here we go:

1) See Cockroach Gumballs.

2) Similar to Cockroach Gumballs, we found additional roaches in a candy machine, scurrying across the Peanut M&Ms and darting in and out the gaps between them.

3) One day, I was warming up my lunch in the microwave in the break area. The timer went off, as they tend to do, and when I opened the door, a cockroach scurried out. I think it was just hiding in the space between the door and the unit since it probably would have died if it had been inside the microwave while it had been running. Or at least that's what I told myself while I ate my lunch.

4) I was ringing someone up at a counter and looked over towards the rack where we display all our DVDs. It's a free standing unit on wheels, so you can easily see under it. And under the DVD rack was a cockroach slowly crawling along the length of the rack. I had the sudden urge to run over and crush it, but I stopped, knowing that it would draw more attention to the pest than should be.

5) I was cleaning something when a co-worker approached me. She had been showing a customer a set of surround sound speakers when the customer noticed a baby-sized cockroach staring out of one of the speakers at her. Unsure of what to do, this co-worker asked me what we should do about that. I looked over where the customer was and saw her stomping her foot on the ground. Apparently, the problem had already been solved.

6) I was showing someone some of our watches that were in what we call The Bling Case (the glass display case where we have our cheaper watches and gawdy, fake jewelry, among other things) when a cockroach ran across the glass top of the case. The customer noticed this and announced it to the world. Wanting to avoid even more embarassment, I did the only thing I could think to do. I swept the roach onto the floor with my hand and stepped on it until it stopped moving.

Looking at this series of stories, I would have you know that the pawn shop where I work is not filthy or completely overrun with nasty bugs. All of these stories occured throughout my entire pawn shop career, which spanned the past 10 months. Although, come to think of it, four of these six experiences did happen during the past few weeks. We do have an exterminator that comes once or twice a month, but I think it's time we get a new one. This guy seems pretty worthless.

No comments:

Post a Comment