17 July 2011

My Passionate French Accent

Every morning, the sanitation crews have a meeting where we discuss what time each production line is finished for the day and, subsequently, in which order we will be cleaning them. For whatever reason, our supervisors decided to give us a pep talk. The busy summer period is winding down, so I think they were trying to keep everyone's energy up.

Anyway, they kept saying that our job is the most important job in the factory. If we don't clean the machines thoroughly and properly, the ice-cream product could be contaminated, it could have to be thrown away, and we may not be able to fill merchant orders. Additionally, there is the fact that if we don't clean the machines as well as we should and a contaminated product slips through testing, someone could become seriously ill or even die.

They kept emphasizing how someone, specifically a child, could die as a result. One supervisor started getting really aggressive, but another one tried to bring the pep talk back into being motivational instead of overbearing. The aggressive supervisor caught onto this and switched his tune, saying that we were "artists" and "professionals" and that we needed to be "passionate" about what we do.

Passionate? That seems like a very strong word. I understand what he was trying to get across, that we need to take pride in what we do and do our best every day, but "passion" seems like a bit much. I sure don't wake up in the morning, thinking "I can't wait to go and clean today! It's my favorite thing to do in the whole wide world!" and I doubt anyone else does, either.

Anyway, I don't think the pep talk worked. After the meeting, everyone from sanitation went and collectively looked at the job board. When a need arises in different departments around the company, the job is posted on a board so people are aware of it and able to apply if they so desire. Well, it looked like everyone in sanitation is considering a different job. I thought that was hilarious. The pep talk backfired hardcore.

But maybe the pep talk wasn't a complete waste. I did try to clean more thoroughly, and I even made a song to help myself stay motivated. Each week, someone is assigned to clean the floor drains which are at each production line, and it just so happened to be my turn. So, while I was scrubbing the drains, I came up with this little jingle :
I go to the drain
With my bucket of bubbles
All the bacteria
Is in for some trouble
I'm passionate about what I do
Watch out, germs, you're dead
I'm coming for you

Furthering my attempt to inspire some passion in me, I sung this in a French accent. There is, perhaps, no other nation with such a passionate populus as the French, so I thought it was appropriate to try and channel their zeal through mimicking their accent. It didn't really work. It just helped me amuse myself. But I'll take what I can get.

Daily Ice-Cream Intake :
1/8 Gallon - Birthday Cake Ice-Cream, 1/4 Gallon - Cookies N Cream Ice-Cream, 2 Orange Sherbet Push-Ups, 2 Chocolate Crunch Bars

No comments:

Post a Comment