13 July 2011

Silly Noise

Oh, goodness me. The pressure hoses I use to rinse the machines never stop giving me problems. On top of the issues I have previously shared with you (see In The Face), it would be a shame if I did not also explain how touchy the nozels of these hoses can be. Let me provide you with an example.

Today, I was assigned to clean a stairwell. It's a fairly small stairwell, but it is used frequently. Thus, while I was pre-rinsing, scrubbing, final rinsing, and squeegee-ing these stairs, which takes about ten minutes, 30 or 35 people used them. That averages out to 3 or 4 people a minute, or someone forcing me to pause my work and stand aside while they track new debris through the areas I had just cleaned about every fifteen to twenty seconds. Kind of frustrating.

Anyway, in order to pre-rinse the stairs, I had to grab one of these treacherous hoses and haul it all the way to the top of the stairwell. Now, these hoses are very heavy duty, and, thus, weigh a lot. It's not that it's not difficult for me to carry the hose, but I tell you this because when I got to the top of the stairs, I needed to set the hose down, but if I put it on the ground, it would have slid down the stairs and possibly tripped someone. So, being the genius I am, I decided to hook the the hose around the hand banister. I thought this a great idea. It's just that the way I hooked the hose around the banister forced the nozzle trigger to engage and send a thick spray of scalding water in a high arch down the stairwell . . . as two people were coming up.

It was a man and a woman. The man made no noise whatsoever, but the woman let out a loud whelp of surprise. Luckily, the two were just out of reach of the spray.

The man said my name in a shocked way and asked me what I was doing. Trying to diffuse my embarrassment by cracking a jock, I responded that he and the woman looked dirty and needed a shower and that I was just trying to keep the ice-cream from being contaminated by helping them clean up.

The woman scampered away before she could hear my joke and the man gave me a blank stare.

But I say it was all worth it just to hear that woman yelp. I might have to learn this woman's work schedule, figure out when she will use those stairs, and recreate this stair shower. But, of course, the next time I will have a video camera discretely documenting everything so I can put it on YouTube and the world will also be able to enjoy the silly noise this woman makes.

Daily Ice-Cream Intake :
1/4 Gallon - Tin Roof Sundae, 3 Ice-Cream Candy Bars, 2 Strawberry Crunch Bars

No comments:

Post a Comment