14 March 2011

Accepted! / Janky Microwaves

As you should all be aware, I have been taking a year off from my education (because I was forced, not because I initially chose to). Well, things are about to change . . . in about six months or so.

I applied to 9 different graduate programs for the coming fall, 8 of which were MFA programs in Creative Writing. The 9th program was at Emerson College for a Master's in Publishing and Writing. The program sounded amazing and was my top choice because not only could I focus on my writing, but I would also be able to learn about publishing, live in close proximity to a number of publishers to make it easier for internship and job opportunities, and I'd get to live in an awesome place like Boston.

Well, guess what. I got accepted into the program at Emerson. I have already filled out some financial aid papers and have been looking for housing. I know it's forever away, but this will be the first time I've moved across the country entirely on my own. I know no one in Boston and want to get things set up as soon as possible. There are so many things to figure out and it's as exciting as it is scary. I still have a few other programs to hear back from, but I have decided that Emerson is the best option for me. It is official. I will be moving to Boston this fall.

In the mean time, I will be updating you about my long transition to the Boston area and, of course, continue sharing my priceless experiences at the pawn shop. Speaking of which, here's a brief one:

My twin (see My Twin) works too hard for his own good. He gets to work earlier than most people and works all day without any real breaks. To add on top of his unhealthy work obsession, he is a head manager and is constantly being pulled in a number of different directions.

Anyway, my twin is prone to consume those Campbell's soup things that you heat up in the microwave and then drink out of the container. Recently, there have been a few occasions when he has started heating his soup cup and then walked off, only to return to find it knocked over inside the microwave with his soup spilt everywhere. He had suspicions about who was doing it, but was never quite sure.

Today, my twin brought in a Campbell's soup to work, but this container was more squat than usual. I was sitting down at the break table to complete my loan walking (see Loan Walking) when he put his soup into the microwave and told me he thought it wouldn't tip over since it wasn't so tall and thin. I joked about knocking it over on purpose just to spite him. We laughed and he walked off as his soup began revolving inside the microwave.

I returned to my work and carried on for about a minute until I heard a series of strange clanking from the microwave behind me. When I turned around, I found his soup container tipped over. I screamed and quickly straightened it. Luckily, there was a vented lid on the container so only a small amount of it spilled out. I then had the unfortunate responsibility of informing him of the tragedy. I thought he might have thought my joke about purposefully spilling his soup had been an actual threat, but he didn't.

As it turns out, no one was responsible for the soup spillages. We just have a janky microwave.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! That is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! The Emerson Program looks really cool, I looked into that one too.

    Good luck in Boston!

    ReplyDelete