16 March 2011

Pawn Shop Blitz - Day 3

Today, I worked about 11 hours. That brings my total for the week to a little over 33 hours! Hooray for me!

I may complain about this, but I really shouldn't. I do have to move to Boston very soon. My original plan was to not move until August when my lease is up, but most of the people I have contacted (usually via Craig's List) need people to move in sooner. I really don't want to move sooner than August, but I may have to--which means I will not have as much time as I would like to save money. This whole moving across the country thing is freaking me out. I have a horrible feeling I will have to be homeless for a while, just drift around the Boston area in my Buick with all of my possessions precariously tied to the roof of my car in Grapes of Wrath fashion.

Moving on!

Today was okay. If you consider okay being horribly understaffed in the first place and then having someone call in because his car broke down while he was out of town. Douche bag.

There was one point (among many others) when I became frustrated. This instance involved our DVD special.

We have a great special on DVDs right now. You can buy then individually for $3.25 OR if you buy 5 you will get each for $2.00 OR if you buy 10 you will get each for the low, low, unbelievable, crazy price of $1.50! The only catch is that to get the special prices, you have to buy the DVDs in increments of 5 or 10 to get the special prices. If you bought a 6th or 11th DVD, for example, it would go back to the normal price of $3.25 until you got back to buying a set of 5 or 10. One customer, however, was not pleased.

When he brought up 16 DVDs to the counter and I told him he needed to get 4 more for the special 10 for $15 price for a SECOND set of 10 DVDs, he threw a fit. He didn't understand why he was being "penalized".

Penalized? I wanted to slap him. I had better things to do with my time than to argue with stupid people, but I didn't want to give in (which I could have easily done) becasuse I have to deal with people all day, every day who want things for practically nothing. It makes me angry.

I tried to just pass of our policy as being our policy. It's just how we do things. It's a special, and you have to follow the guidelines of the special to get it. "But I don't think I should be penalized," he responded.

I then tried to explain that even $3.25 for a single DVD was a phenomenal price. "But I don't understand why you're penalizing me."

I couldn't quite understand what he meant by "penalized", and, at this point, I began to doubt he knew what he meant, either. He then began to demand to speak to a manager about this "penalty".

I tried to diffuse his stubbornness and stupidity but failed. He was not going to give up. When my manager finally entered the scene, the man explained his complaint and said that if he bought 10 DVDs that he should get all further DVDs for $1.50 instead of having the price bumped back up unless he bought them in the predetermined increments.

I watched as my manager listened and I knew he was going to give into the man just to shut him up. I, however, am often heartless and would not have given into this stupid man's ridiculous demands. In my mind, I was screaming "DON'T GIVE IT TO HIM! DON'T GIVE IT TO HIM! DON'T LET HIM WIN!" Apparently, I need to work on my telepathy because my manager gave no hint of hearing my frantic inner-screams. He granted the man the ability to buy all his DVDs for $1.50. He looked so smug that I could have stabbed him.

So, after all of that, how many DVDs did this man buy? 20. Yes, he bought 20 DVDs, meaning that he didn't need to argue about the price because that would have fallen under two sets of 10 DVDs, which meant they all would have been $1.50 anyway. At this point, I was furious--but hiding it deep inside--and said, "You're getting 20 DVDs? So, there was no need to argue. You must just like blowing smoke."

The man responded that he just didn't think "people should be penalized."

I had nothing nice to say, so I didn't say anything at all. I turned and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment