21 February 2011

My Twin

Since I began working at the pawn shop, there have been many customers who have been unable to distinguish between myself and one of my co-workers. Yes, we may both be the same height, we both may wear glasses, and we both may be balding--but beyond those general characteristics, I don't think we look the same at all.

Obviously, these mistakes arise because people don't take the time to really look at us. I see what they're doing. They're just remembering the general outline of our persons as opposed to the specific details that compose these two unique individuals. Rather than caring about the human beings who serve them at the pawn shop, they take us for granted and cannot even tell the difference between two people who look generally the same. It would be like confusing Barbara Streisand with Rosie O'Donnell with the excuse that they are both women who have noses! What insensitive fools! No. I am only kidding. Neither of us are offended by the ignorance of the customers--at least not in these instances. On the contrary, there have been multiple occasions when we found the mix-ups to be amusing.

For example, the other day, an older gentleman approached the counter and my twin served him. This older gentleman was purchasing something and my twin asked for his name (we offer a seven day warranty on most items to enable people to take them home and test them out to make sure they work properly, but in order to receive the benefits of that warranty, we require that they put the purchase under their name in our computer system. Hence, no name, no warranty). The gentleman, who actually turned out to not be gentlemanly at all--an ungentleman, if you will--was very annoyed by this.

A little confused, but maintaining his high level of customer service, my twin asked for the customer's name a second time. The ungentleman provided it with much hostility. After completing the transaction, my twin began to explain the seven day warranty, only to be interrupted. The ungentleman waved away my twin's words and said that he remembered what he'd said from before. He then took his item and left the store in a gruff manner.

My twin was very confused by this ungentleman's reaction. He began to wonder if he had rang up that man earlier that day and then had not remembered it whatsoever and, thus, offended the man by 1) not remembering his name even though the had just served not too long before, 2) acted like he had never met the man before in his life, and 3) given him the same information twice. My twin understood why the ungentleman would be so perturbed.

Going back into the man's account to see the previous transactions he'd completed, my twin discovered that it had not been him who had helped the man just minutes before, but it had been me! The man must have bought something from me and then saw something else he wanted to buy before he had the chance to leave the store, went to buy it, and then was served by my twin. The ungentleman had simply not realized we were different people. Our voices sound different, our faces are entirely unalike, and I am about eight years younger, yet this man saw no difference and became very cranky for no good reason. If only there was a way to let this man know what a fool he had been. That would be delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment