11 February 2011

Beware: Used(?) Condom Inside

One of the daily tasks at the pawn shop is stocking the showroom floor with the various items we obtain throughout each business day. There is a wall in the backroom where new items are placed. Such items remain on The Wall or sitting on the floor in front of The Wall until someone either puts it out to sell or moves it further into the back area where we keep all of our excess merchandise.

Today, one co-worker was working on emptying The Wall when she brought out a cymbal carrying case. As one would imagine, it was a soft case that was designed for carrying and storing cymbals. When she opened the bag and looked inside, she made a startled noise and then quickly closed the case. She then shoved the bag into my hands and said "I'm not cleaning this out!"

My first thought was that someone had either vomited or defecated inside of the bag and horrible images filled my mind. But I was wrong. There was neither vomit nor feces. It was something else.

A wrinkled up piece of plastic.

It took a second to realize what it was, but then it hit me.

It was condom.

And it had been unrolled.

And why are condoms generally unrolled?

To be used.

Yes, there was a presumably used condom inside of this cymbal bag.

Unsure of what to do about this, I took the bag to the head manager of the store and explained the situation. One one hand, it is disgusting that there was a condom--a presumably used condom--in the bag, but on the other hand, the bag was in very nice condition and the likelihood of it being contaminated with an STD was very low.

In the end, my manager said we would just need to clean it out very well with Clorox. I think this is an acceptable solution, but I don't know if the customer who ends up buying the cymbal bag will be very appreciative. I suppose that'll just be our little secret.

Luckily, when this bag was discovered, I was about to leave. I didn't have time to remove the presumably used condom or clean out the case. Instead, I put a note on the bag and set it on The Wall for someone else to take care of. I wish I could be there to see the faces of my unsuspecting co-workers when they first see the sign declaring "BEWARE: used(?) condom inside".

No comments:

Post a Comment