04 September 2011

The People of Central Park

It's a crazy life when someone asks you if you want to go on an impromptu weekend visit to New York City and you can say "yes". I've only been to The Big Apple once and was very excited to go back to that amazing metropolitan wonderland.

We did a lot of things while in New York, but favorite was walking around Central Park. I spent about two hours just roaming around aimlessly, and I am very thankful that I did. The park is enormous and has all kinds of hidden treasures waiting to be stumbled upon. It has everything from a castle to an ancient obelisk to baseball diamonds and even a zoo, but we musn't forget the true stars of Central Park--the people.





I am no student of classical music, but these musicians were awesome. They chose the perfect place to play. The acoustics were amazing.









You got to love the performers. I have an urge to try and do something ridiculous in Central Park to see how much money I can get. I just have to think of something totally outrageous.












I was hoping she would climb all the way to the top of the arch. She didn't. What a loser. I hope her mother punished her laziness.









The park was crawling with adorable children. I don't think these children knew each other, but the girl wanted to go to the top of the rocks with the boy but the boy said it wasn't safe. They were so matter-of-factly in their discussion.







At one point, I heard music. I zombie walked towards it--muuuuuusssic--and found this! A skating/dancing club! These people get together in central park on a regular basis, block off an area, and then skate/dance to house music for several hours. This guy was ridiculous. He was working his shoulders like nobody's business.








The most impressive skater/dancer was this massively ripped man who had the balancing powers of a classicaly-trained 18th-century woman.










Some other people in the group included a man with some kind of bouncy shoes (in the background) and a woman who was just shaking her hips and waving around a stick. Here she looks like she's screaming. I think she got a splinter. There was also a man (not pictured) who winked at me. That was when I decided to leave.









And even though I did not find him/her, I did find evidence of The Very Hungry Caterpillar having recently been in Central Park. This was the closest to seeing a celebrity that I came.




There are two others I must mention in this blog. The first was actually a group of elderly people who were kicking around a soccer ball. I didn't take a picture of them because I was so shocked that all I could do was watch and pray that they didn't hurt themselves. The second was a woman who wasn't in central park. I was struggling my way through the overwhelming crowds and stood next to a woman pushing a stroller. She was on her cellphone and when we started to cross the street, she said "What makes you think I'm getting liposuction?"

Ah, what a weekend. If you scroll further down, you may enjoy a few other non-people-related pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment