07 September 2011

My Bitch

My graduate career has officially begun, and, unsurprisingly, my anxiety level has skyrocketed. The first week of classes has come and gone for me, and I am already freaking out.

Can I really do this whole graduate school thing? Will I have enough time to do all of my homework? Will I be smart enough? Will I be smart enough to develop professional connections that will benefit me in finding a career? What internships should I try to get? Am I ruining my life?

Am I being overdramatic? Not really. Graduate school has been a dream of mine for a long time and I am in a program that offers me everything I could possibly want--in terms of study, practical experience, and opportunities to make professional connections. I need to take this seriously. I just think these first couple of weeks will be difficult until I develop and settle into a routine. I like routines. They help me know what to expect, and if I know what to expect, I can plan for it weeks in advance and rock its world.

It also doesn't help that I don't know this city, haven't developed many strong friendships with anyone, haven't found a gym I like, am not used to the higher price of food (meat especially--boneless chicken breasts for $5.99/pound?! Are you kidding me?!), don't have a job and have this horrible feeling of dread regarding my finances, have been out of school for a year, and no longer have a car. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I'm a spaz. That sure doesn't help.

In the long run, I know I'll be fine. I think it's healthy to freak out at the beginning of one's graduate career, to just get it all out and then move on. And now that that's out of the way, I'm ready to make this program my bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment