26 September 2011

Like a Girlfriend

For those of you who have been in official (Facebook or otherwise) relationships, you have probably experienced what I am about to describe. In the beginning of a relationship, the two involved parties become inseparable. They just can't get enough of each other. And while they may fulfill their individual and necessary responsibilities, they are prone to procrastinate such things as homework or chores in exchange of spending more time in each others' presence. They stay up late and get little sleep and are exhausted for days on end, but they regret nothing and it is all worth it.

Do you know that feeling? I hope you do.

One of my roommates has recently begun a new relationship and is experiencing such things. My best friend has also just started seeing someone and I suspect she will also fall into this scenario as well. I have also found myself entrapped in this time-consuming phenomena. Only, I don't have a girlfriend. I have an addiction to the hit reality series, Big Brother.

I am obsessed with this show and will soon apply to be a contestant. To prepare myself for the competition, I have embarked on a strict Big Brother regime. I have decided to study all 13 seasons to learn the ins and outs like the back of my hand, to analyze strategies and see what worked and what didn't, to understand every aspect of this show so I can win if I am one of the lucky few who are selected to compete next summer.

This means that I have been watching a lot of Big Brother lately. I have found myself staying up until after midnight, usually until 1:00 or 2:00 am, but most dramatically until 6:00 am. I have found myself feeling sluggish the following days, but it has all been worth it. I regret nothing. But if there was something I regret, it would be my limited amount of time I can study this most marvelous of all television programs.

So, in a sense, Big Brother is like my girlfriend. It takes up all my time and deprives me of sleep, yet leaves me satisfied and yearning for me. Another perk of my love for this show is that Big Brother doesn't require me to spend any money. I am free from the pressures of being spontaneous and surprising it with unexpected bouquets of flowers or cheesy love notes.  Oh, and it always puts out . . . in the form of high-quality entertainment, that is.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry that you do not have a real, non-electricity powered girlfriend. I will have to have a talk with Jen about this and see what she can do about it...

    ReplyDelete