20 September 2011

The Mysterious Basement Unit

In the Boston area, it seems that most apartments were originally houses that are now cut up and divided into several units. The building in which I live is no exception. The original house has been cut into three apartment units - the basement, the main floor, and the upper two floors.

I live in the apartment in the upper two floors.

If one was to enter the back door of the house, one would step into a hallway that leads to all three apartment units. If one would turn right and go up the stairs, one would enter my apartment. If one was to go forward, once would enter the ground floor unit. And if one was to move down the hall and then down the stairs into the basement, one would enter the laundry room and be able to access the basement apartment. All of these apartments have lockable doors to prohibit anyone from just walking in through the back.

As for the basement unit, it does not take up the entire basement. A large portion of it is the "laundry room" . . . which is really just one washer and one dryer in a large, unfinished room that doubles as storage for all three units.

I have yet to meet the people living in either of the other two units. My roommates have met the people who live on the main floor. They are a married gay couple and I have been told that they are very nice. The basement tenants, however, are a mystery to all.

The other day, I was in the basement doing my laundry when I heard strange noises coming from the basement apartment unit. It sounded like something you would hear in an insane asylum. It was a groaning or a grunting or some strange combination. Whatever it was, it was creepy.

Another day, I heard a baby crying for about five seconds. Then it stopped and all was silent.

And then I realized that we never lock the door that leads to the back stairwell, which leads to the laundry room, which is connected to the basement unit whose tenants we have never met and from whence these strange noises have been coming.

How comforting.

But as none of us has been butchered in our beds, I think we'll be safe. Besides, I kind of like the danger. I'll just sleep with a baseball bat in my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment