06 June 2011

Hiding

There are three sanitation crews, and my crew's lunch is scheduled from 11:30 to noon. Well, today noon came around, I clocked in, and I went to put on my safety equipment. And being the new guy that I am, and being unsure of what I was to do next, I waited for my crew-mates to return from lunch so I could follow their lead.

Well, I waited and waited . . . and waited . . . for 25 minutes. And nobody showed up.

The only reason I waited for so long was because 1) I knew they would have to return to that specific location to put on their saftey equipment and 2) because I was worried that if I left that location that they would return and then go off into the factory and I wouldn't be able to find them.

Eventually, I decided to go looking for my crew-mates, and was let in on a little secret.

My crew's lunch is over at noon, but we aren't technically scheduled to do anything else until 1:30 pm (when a specific production line shuts down and we clean up their mess). When I asked what we did for that hour and a half, I was told to "look busy." The funny thing was that no one could tell me exactly how to do that. So, I decided to follow a crew-mate around.

We sat in a back room and did nothing for about twenty minutes, then we moved to another part of the factory and sat in another place for about fifteen minutes. Then another co-worker told me to follow him. Thinking we were actually going to do some work, I asked where we were doing. He didn't bother looking at me but continued to lead the way and gruffly responded that we were "hiding."

I was lead to a part of the factory that was empty (the production line in that are was shut down for the day), and we sat down for an undisclosed amount of time.

And how did I feel about all of this?

Very uncomfortable. But that's probably only because I don't know what I'm doing. If I was more comfortable with the ins and outs of the job, I would have probably been more at ease with taking a little extra down time. But being new, and feeling somewhat overwhelmed with all of things I need to learn, I have this anxious part of me that wants to work and learn and work and learn some more. I also have a horribly guilty conscious that refused to let me take much pleasure in shirking responsibility, especially while at work.

Luckily, we were called to another part of the factory around 1:00 pm to help another crew to clean one of their assigned production lines. I think our managers are catching onto the habitual shameless slacking I just described. We'll see what happens the rest of the week.

Daily Ice-Cream Intake :
2 ice-cream candy bars, 3 strawberry crunch bars, 2 caramel ice-cream cones, 4 other ice-cream treats

No comments:

Post a Comment