29 August 2011

Lost in a Cemetery


A new friend of mine told me something interesting. It was about a tower inside of a cemetery that overlooks the city. The coolest part is that this tower is open for the public to climb and enjoy the view. This morning, I set out on my bicycle to find this cemetery and its tower.


Finding the cemetery was fairly easy. Finding the tower was another story. This cemetery is enormous. It lays on over 175 acres and I actually got lost. I thought I could just look around and see the tower, but the many, many tall trees stopped my life from being so simple. I found a map of the cemetery and tried to remember which way to go, but that didn't work so well since I have a horrible memory. Eventually, I asked an older couple that was sitting in their car if they knew how to find the tower. I felt horrible for interrupting their cemetery experience, which was probably a solemn one, but I was losing my patience. Luckily, being lost in the cemetery wasn't too bad of a thing. I came across several things to photograph.






I found a tombstone that had dead, dying, and thriving vines all over it. I thought they looked awesome.
























The cemetery had its own greenhouses and this disgusting thing collected rainwater for later watering. How eco-friendly.










This was in the entry to some building (this place had lots of them). I thought how the light highlighted the chair in the shadows was pretty cool.













I found this grate and this red leaf stuck in some cobwebs.










These flowers were already knocked over when I found them. I swear. I didn't do it.








There was this whole section of cemetery that was being reseeded with grass. At the moment, it's just dirt, headstones, and awesome looking.













After wandering around for what felt like hours and being told by multiple employees that I was not supposed to have my bike on the cemetery grounds (and even being given a flier on "Cemetery Etiquette" by a man in a minivan), I found the tower. A plaque told me that it was built in the 1850's. The view was pretty spectacular. The area has a lot more trees than I expected, but we've all seen trees, so I won't bother posting them here. What was really cool was the view of downtown Boston that the tower offered (see below).



1 comment:

  1. The chair in the patch of sunshine is definitely my favorite one. Like them all! I'm glad you got out and had an adventure.

    ReplyDelete