08 August 2011

Fantasy Land Funeral

My BFF and I have been best friends for just over eight years, but being college students with very different educational and career paths, we have not lived in the same town for over seven years of that bestfriendship. Over the years, we have planned visits that have extended over several days, and we are currently in day 3 of a 10 day BFF extravaganza that will include, but not be limited to, eating lots of junk food, watching TV and movies, playing Wii, and taking stupid pictures.

Today, I wish to share something we witnessed. It was a funeral. Or at least what appeared to be a funeral.

A large number of dressed-up people were clustered around the cars in a parking lot of a church. My first thought was that it was a wedding. People were laughing and appeared to be having a great time. But my BFF's first impression was that it was a funeral. And she was right. We pulled up to a stop sign and found a hearse parked against the curb.

Being the horrible person I am, I looked into the back of the hearse, trying to spot the coffin, but was disappointed to find it empty. Luckily, my disappointment did not last long. As we waited for our chance to go through the stop sign, two men pushing a casket on a type of coffin gurney exited through the front doors of the church. But rather than putting the coffin in the back of the hearse, the hearse cut off my BFF and drove off. The two men did not seem perturbed by this and began pushing the coffin down the sidewalk.

It was the strangest funeral I'd ever seen. People were laughing and having a good time, the hearse was driving erratically without the deceased person inside, and the coffin was being pushed down the sidewalk by two men who seemed to be telling jokes back and forth over the casket.

What possible reasons could there be for such mirth at what is supposed to be a solemn occasion? I know the real answer is most likely that the hearse needed to move to a different location to easily load the casket and that the laughter of the people probably resulted from the need for some kind of relief, but I don't like to think in such boring terms. So, let's move on to the answers I actually enjoy having inside of my brain. 1) The deceased was a horrible person and the people who attended were those who were happy to see them pass and be sent on their way to rot in Hell, or 2) Me and my BFF were being Punk'd.

I'm not sure which answer I like better because I really like the idea of people singing "Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead" at a funeral inside of a church chapel, but I also like the idea of sticking it to Ashton Kutcher. But, come to think of it, this is my fantasy land--I choose both to be true!

No comments:

Post a Comment