01 August 2011

Frida

I am proud to announce that I have completed my first summer goal -- "#8) Make a wall haniging of a woman's torso".

And now, I will take you on a photographic journey of the process . . .





The plan was to make a paper mache torso and then spray paint it. So, of course, I first needed to make the wire frame.



















Here is another picture of the wire frame, specifically of the breasts. I am very proud of those. Don't judge me. 













The next step was to paper mache the frame. Originally, my vision for this torso was of something that was very realistic. I have no idea what I was thinking. I'm not am amazing artist by any means, and the torso came out hideously misproportioned and lumpy. Seeing this, I decided to put my own twist on it -- AKA -- make it look as disturbing as possible. With that in mind, coming up with a PLAN B was a snap.

To make the torso gross, I put jagged scraps of paper all over the face of the torso. Afterwards, I ripped out chunks of the paper mache to look like it had been through the Hell.






Next, I spray painted the entire thing red. It took an entire can of paint because I didn't want any of the newsprint showing through.

After spray painting this red, I kind of liked it how it was. The red was very bright and glossy, and it made me think of Britney Spears' red jumpsuit in the Oops, I Did It Again music video.











The next step was to spray paint the edges of the missing portions black and then spray a fine mist of black over the entire thing--thus, making it look like it had been charred. How awesome of a PLAN B is that?!















And here is the finished product! I am very pleased with how it turned out. Sadly, I will not be able to take this with me when I move. I am giving it to my brother. I should charge him.

I named her Frida.


No comments:

Post a Comment