17 August 2011

My "Painting"

I bought a blank canvas with the intention that I would paint something really cool on it . . . and it ended up sitting in my room for over two years. I couldn't decide on anything particular that I wanted to paint. And since it sat so inconspicuously in the corner, I forgot it was even there most of the time.

But as graduate school approached, finally using the neglected canvas climbed up my priority list. I knew I wouldn't be able to take it with me, but I didn't want to waste it just the same. But even with my new found motivation, I still had no clue what to paint.

My brother wanted me to paint something creepy. I can do creepy. I love doing creepy. But when I finally got paint and brushes, I was reminded of how horrible of a painter I am. I started over about three times, repainting the canvas with each attempt. Eventually, I became so angry with my embarrassing skills that I bought spray paint and markers and came up with this . . .



First, I sprayed the canvas black to hide all of my failed attempts (a monster, powder explosions, bird-like creature, stripes, amorphous color blob, and spray paint drips--wow, I suck) and then sprayed a gray mist over the entire thing until it looked foggy. I then sprayed words like hatred, betrayal, sorrow, regret, etc all over and topped it all off with a large WAR that was meant to stand out and be easily discernible. After that was done, I took a Sharpie and wrote "Take a look inside and tell me what you see" all over it in all kinds of directions and sizes.

I'm not completely happy with it, but it'll do. It's not like it'll be hanging in my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment