28 August 2011

About This Whole Job Thing . . .

I had every intention of finding a job once I had moved to the Boston area. I'm very nervous/meticulous/obsessive/successful(?) when it comes to my finances, and the biggest concern I had was about whether or not I would be able to financially support myself.  I foresaw myself filling out countless applications, sending out numberless resumes, and not resting until I had secured some type of employment. But has any of that happened? No. And is any of that going to happen? Not at least until the school year starts up. Here's my new plan . . .
Rather than immediately getting another dead end job that will not provide me with anything impressive to put on my resume, why not wait until I have access to the resources which my college offers? I can seek out internships and jobs through the connections it has with the local publishing community and, subsequently, obtain worthwhile experience.

I have an inkling that all of the fall internships will have already be taken, but that's not so terrible. I can focus on securing one for next semester. And if I desperately need employment, I can always find something along the way.

I think my reasoning is good, and I will insist that this is what has influenced my decision the most. But, just between you and me, faithful reader, there are other, and equally influential, reasons. These include :

1) It's summer and summer is for fun, not working
2) I'm lazy
3) I don't want to work
4) I took out enough student loans that I don't have to work
5) There are too many things to do in this city
6) My social life is suddenly four times what it used to be

So, with that, I gladly cross off Summer Goal #15 -- Hunt for a new job. Not because I completed it, but because I have abandoned it. It's a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment