04 April 2011

Forget The Pimp Cane

A while ago, a man came into the pawn shop and put almost $1,200 of fairie statues on lay-a-way (see The Fairie Fanatic). Well, the same man came back today. But instead of $1,200 worth of fairies, he put $1,100 worth of swords, knives, and decorative weapons on lay-a-way.

When he came in, we were extremely busy (and understaffed). The manager who rang up this transaction needed to move onto some other pawn shop duty and told me to put away the array of 31 items/sets once I got a moment. When that moment finally came several minutes later (as I was also incredibly busy), I discovered that the man had been standing guard over his loan the entire time! He told me that someone had wanted to purchase one of his items and he had to tell this greedy customer that "It's already been taken" (and for some reason, he said this with a Beatle-esque accent).

Oh, the array of these weapons! There was a sword called "God of Fire" which had a large dragon with outspread wings at the base of the handle. There was a really cool pantera (which the man informed me was his second pantera. He would now have one for each hand--why he would need one for each hand is a question with what I am sure would be very disturbing answers). There was a curvy-bladed knife with a graveyard scene painted on it and the stand itself being a graveyard scene, having a spread of skeletons lazing about along the base and a gnarled tree at one end upon which the handle rested. There was a really cool staff which separated in the middle to reveal two medium-lengthed swords. But my absolute favorite thing he put on lay-a-way was a cane with The Grim Reaper's hooded, skeletal skull on the top of it. But the thing that really made this cane so magnificent was how the top unscrewed and you could pull out a 16-inch blade which stuck out of The Grim Reaper's skull like the most dangerous spinal cord known to man! I always thought it would be cool to have a pimp cane, but, forget that now! I want this thing!

While I was making the several necessary trips to take these (and many, many more undescribed) items into the backroom, the man kept informing me about personal tidbits of his life--like how he was having a string of dental surgeries which would probably result in him having to have procelain veneers put in a few years anyway, or how he didn't want to be creamated because he wanted to take his teeth to the grave with him, or how his mother and father both lost their teeth at a young age and how he was going to keep his teeth no matter the cost, or how he was trying to build up his life-insurance policy so he could leave his four children something nice (because his parents weren't going to leave him anything). I just love it when ridiculous people tell me ridiculous things.

Also, I'm trying to get this man to bring in pictures of his home. He has so many strange things he's bought from the pawn shop that I'm sure his living room resembles a Ripley's Believe It Or Not Exhibit. I would love to see that. It is my ultimate goal to obtain a picture to post on this blog so all may enjoy. Don't hold your breath, though. It's a big goal. But I'd rather shoot for the insane than choke on the mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment