05 October 2011

Pigeon Man and DJ Nitetrain

Oh, Boston, how I love thee and your masses of peculiar people.

Today, I was riding the T (Boston's subway) and noticed a strange man standing across the car from me. I will list what I noticed and thought about him in chronological order :

1) That guy is dancing (bending his knees so he bounced up and down and moving his arms and hands like he was a DJ -- scratching vinyl and adjusting knobs).
2) That guy is really tall and heavyset.
3) That guy doesn't look like the type to be dancing in public.
4) Oh, he's listening to music on big headphones.
5) He has a lot of rainbows on his clothes (a rainbow belt and belt buckle, a rainbow case covering his mini-disk player, and his headphones were colored like rainbows with Sharpie markers).
6) He has a large teddy bear with two smaller teddy bears tied to it. Why?
7) The case of the man's mini-disc player says DJ Nitetrain.
8) It's daytime.
9) Does he ride around and do this at night?
10) Does he do this to try and get money?
11) Is he practicing for his nightly train air DJ jam sessions?
10) Oh, crap, he just smiled at me. Look away!

After getting off the T and walking across Boston Common, I saw a man. But this was no ordinary man. He had dozens of pigeons hopping around his feet and several of them on his head and shoulders.

I tried to see if he had lured the pigeons with some kind of food, but I didn't see anything. I just think he has a special connection with those winged rats. I like to imagine that they all latch onto him and carry him from place to place.

I wanted to talk to him but he was already having a conversation with some woman. I felt like interrupting strangers is weird enough without asking why one of them is crawling with pigeons. I kept walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment