08 October 2011

My Sushi Training Secrets

After having my sushi disaster a few weeks ago (see Sushi = Difficult), I was prepared for a long struggle to become a sushi master. The websites that claimed they could teach me how to make sushi all seemed to be omitting important details, and I was unable to find answers to my questions anywhere. And then one of my roommates told me about how my landlord teaches a sushi rolling class.


I thought maybe I could get into the class for free. I mean, I am his best tenant, right? Is there a better way for him to show his appreciation?


There must be, because I ended up paying full price for the class ($85), but I suppose it was worth it. The price was offset by the gut-busting amount of sushi I ate during the class and the massive sushi plate I took home afterwards (see picture to the right).


So, today, I will reveal the vital secrets I learned during my sushi class :


1) The Internet will tell you that you need to mix rice vinegar, sugar, and salt to make a seasoning for your rice. I bought a $7 bottle of rice vinegar and found that it smelt like the raunchiest feet that have ever stunk up this world and that no amount of sugar can neutralize the stench. SECRET : There is such a thing called Sushi Vinegar. It is premixed and does not smell of feet. Use that instead of your own attempted mixture.

2) One of the biggest problems I had last time was figuring out how to cook the rice. The Internet kept giving me different directions, none of which worked very well. SECRET : The best way to cook rice for sushi is in a rice cooker. If you can get one, do it (my landlord and lady are going to loan me one). Use a little less water per amount of rice. Example : 1 cup rice to 7/8ths cups water.

3) When making making your sushi roll, the rice will stick to your hands. SECRET : The rice will not stick to your hands if you keep them wet. You don't want them super wet because then the water will get into the rice and it will not stick together, but find a happy medium and you're golden.



4) The amount of rice you need to put on your seaweed is very important. Does the Internet tell you much about it? It sure doesn't.                      SECRETS :                                                         A) Use a good amount of rice so that the seaweed is covered but so that it is not too weighed down. You have to discover a happy medium.  B) Don't pack the rice too tightly onto your seaweed. When you roll the sushi, there must be room for the rice to smoosh and stick together. C) If you want the seaweed on the outside of your roll, leave about a half inch along one edge of it rice free (see picture to left). If you want a roll with the rice on the outside, cover the entire piece of seaweed. D) Make sure you spread the rice evenly all the way to the edges you want covered or else the end pieces of your roll will be flimsy and fall apart because there is nothing holding it together.


5) Cutting sushi is very difficult. My knife kept smashing the sushi and tearing it apart. SECRET : Water is necessary. Dip your knife in water and use quick, short sawing motions. It will keep your sushi from falling apart.


Of course, I am no sushi expert (yet), so there are many other tips and secrets which have not been included in this blog entry, but these are some very crucial tidbits of information. I would recommend taking a class so you can see how it is done in person, or at least watch a video instead of relying on written instructions which appear to be all-encompassing at first but leave you confused when you finally get to making your sushi.








Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Braeden saw your mad sushi-making skills and said, "Come back and marry me! Be in a poly-amorous relationship with me." Clearly you've found the way to his heart. We'll have to come visit so we can taste your sushi skills for ourselves--as long as you promise not to steal my husband away, that is...

    ReplyDelete