26 April 2012

(#35) The "Plate Swap" I Should've

Last week, I was informed of a free seminar about combating writer's block and procrastination. It sounded great. Free advice from a professional? But wait, it gets better. The promotional material I received promised a free book, a free personal consultation, AND a free meal--all for just showing up and listening to this woman speak! Forget the book, forget the advice, they had me at "free meal."

Unfortunately, when I got to the event this evening, the "free meal" was actually four veggie platters. I was pissed. I'd skipped dinner.

So, I did what most people would do. I piled a plate high and ate my humus and veggies while secretly cursing everyone present.

After finishing my plate (which, sadly, was a pitiful 6" plate), I noticed the woman sitting next to me was talking to someone else. Her back was turned to me and her plate of fresh veggies and humus stood within my reach.

I should've . . . stealthily swapped my empty plate for her full plate. Two things could have happened at that point. 1) She could have realized I was stealing her food. In response, I would have told her not to be selfish. OR 2) She wouldn't have noticed right away, and when she finally did (at which point I probably would have already consumed her food), I would have pointed to the man sitting behind me and shook my head in disbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment